Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Guest Administrators Lecture

I thought that the lecture with the two administrators from the Decorah School District was a little taste of reality. I liked hearing their sides and views of NCLB. In class I feel like we discuss how NCLB has so many flaws and how it isn't good for education all the time. In Ed. Psychology I think it is okay to talk about or challenge NCLB and different laws, but the administrators gave the reality side of things, which I really enjoyed hearing. They talked about how you deal with NCLB and how it can be beneficial to students and teachers. Not knowing a lot about NCLB before I started my education classes, I was finally relieved to be able to hear a different perspective. I thought the comment by the middle school principal about comparing a surgery that is research based to a classroom that is research based made a lot of sense. As a teacher, I want to know that what I am teaching and how I am teaching it in the classroom is adequate and works. I would also feel much better and more confident about what I am doing if I have data to back it up. I also think the data will then help me to see where I can improve. Overall, I thought it was great lecture, and I learned a lot by attending.

2 comments:

Dana said...

I agree with Bethany that it was nice to hear a different perspective about NCLB. Also, it is very true that you wouldn't want a surgery done that has never been researched before so why teach something that has never been researched before?

Michelle's Teaching Blog said...

I agree Bethany. It's nice to hear what other people have to say about the NCLB act. I was pretty biased about it, but now I think it might be a good thing.