Thursday, September 18, 2008

Lions For Lambs Thoughts

As we began watching Lions for Lambs, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Our first time watching the movie, I was extremely confused about the three different plots but the second time around, I started to figure it out. I liked how in the end all three of the stories were tightly wound together with each story effecting the other stories. The movie made me reflect not only on the teaching aspects it held but also the political side it brought out, as well.

Reflecting on the teaching aspect, I first started off disagreeing with how the professor was approaching his situation with the student who had become unmotivated. I disliked how he was in a way bribing the student. Toward the end of the movie when I was reflecting on the meeting between the teacher and the student, I found that I did indeed like how the professor held the meeting. He was blunt with the student and yet kept the student curious as well about the points he was trying to get across. I thought his line about teachers being sales people by selling their students to their students' selves held a lot of truth. Teachers should be putting the student first, but if the student is not putting themselves first, the teacher needs to be the person to sell that concept to them. I think it is a different angle towards teaching that everyone could use at one point for motivation. Being able to sell each of your students to themselves will be an everyday challenge that a teacher can look forward to working on each day with each student. Once a teacher has done this, like in the movie, you don't have a lot of control over what the student will do with this confidence, but you will know that they are working towards what they want to accomplish.

1 comment:

Dana said...

As with Bethany I agree that a teacher's job is to keep motivating your students. I feel that once you have done this you can feel good about what you have done for the child because the ball is left in their court so you just have to wait and see what the student will do with it. Will it be a slam dunk or an air ball?