Thursday, November 6, 2008

New Teachers

I've really enjoyed hearing from guest speakers who come from "the outside" or "real world". This week was another addition to the informative lectures that I have attended. It was nice to hear from people that are in the spot we will be in a couple years down the road. I know that I am going to feel the same way most of them did their first year. I am going to be extremely excited and want to do all these great things with my new ideas, but I will have to remember that there will be teachers, probably on some teaching "team" that I'm on who will not want to hear about them. I thought the one teacher made a great point where when this happens you just need to be true to yourself and try things for yourself. I think new teachers need to make mistakes just as the experienced teachers had. This is how they learn, as well.

There were a couple of things that I was apprehensive about. I didn't like the idea of working two jobs. They mentioned that a lot of teachers work another job at a store or somewhere else. I really want to be a teacher, but only a teacher, not a cashier too. I understand that these are young teachers coming out of college which they need to pay for, but the comment turned me off from teaching a little bit. Another thing was that these teachers all knew they wanted to be teachers from the start. Since I am not completely positive about teaching yet, I wanted to hear that they tried all these different majors and came to see that they really loved to teach. If I'm not 100 percent sure I want to do this for the rest of my life, is that a sign?

No comments: